Essential oil jewelry creates perfectly blurred lines between the worlds of fashion, aromatherapy, and wellness. Whether you desire to add essential oils to your jewelry for their benefits, their scent, or simply for the fact that lava stone beads are unique…One thing’s for sure, essential oil jewelry is a cute, stylish way to incorporate essential oils into your daily life.
Of the jewelry lines at Laura Janelle, our essential oil jewelry is one of the most talked about, and the one that generates the most questions/curiosity. While a lot of essential oil jewelry is made with colored felt inserts that the essential oil is applied to, we make ours with lava (stone) beads. The appearance of these beads adds a touch of earthy and elegance to your outfit, making them a popular choice for those who like bohemian and daintier styles of jewelry.
What Are Lava Beads Made from?
In order to understand how lava stone beads really work, it helps to know their origin. Lava stone beads are in fact, exactly what they sound like. Each bead is a type of igneous rock; made from cooled molten rock. When a volcano erupts, as the lava spreads and cools, it becomes solid, porous, and black. The pores/holes make each piece very lightweight; easy to thread and wear.
*Real/natural lava stones are always black or brown. All white and colored forms are either dyed or made from a similar stone (such as pumice). All colors will work as a diffuser.
How to Put Oil on Lava Beads
The application of your favorite essential oil to your lava bead is simple due to the porous surface of the lava stones. Just add 1-2 drops of your favorite oil* to each lava bead. The best way to do this is to add them to a q-tip or on your finger and then rub it on the beads. You can also run an essential oil roller bottle over them. Allow the essential oils to soak in for a minute before wearing. The length of time the oils last varies based on how much and the type used. They can last anywhere from a couple hours to a full day, so reapply as the scent wears off/as needed.
*As with most essential oil use on the skin, you may want to dilute your essential oil with a drop of a carrier oil (such as coconut, almond, or avocado) to reduce the risk of a skin reaction, prior to applying the oil to the lava bead.
How to Use Essential Oil Jewelry
There are so many benefits to using essential oils on your lava stone beads, other than just for aromatherapy purposes/the pleasing scent. Here are just some of our favorites.
- For attention-drawing style. Essential oil jewelry is some of the most asked about pieces and the classier appearance of the lava stones (as opposed to felt pads) makes for gorgeous stylish accents to your outfits.
- To replace perfume. If you’re trying to cut back on chemicals in your life, but still love aromatherapy/using perfume, adding essential oils to your necklaces, bracelets, and earrings can be a great alternative!
- To create a custom oil diffuser blend. Grab your favorite essential oil necklace and dab a different essential oil on each bead for your own custom scent!
- With oils for an insect repellent. Peppermint, lemon, eucalyptus, lemongrass, thyme, and others are known for repelling certain types of insects. Just research what type of insect you’re looking to avoid and add the oil on your lava beads!
- With oils for their wellness benefits. Here are some of the health claims associated with popular essential oils:
- Energizing: citrus (grapefruit, lemon, orange), peppermint, rosemary
- Relaxing/reducing stress: lavender, sweet orange, jasmine, rosemary, bergamot
- Improving mood: rose, chamomile, jasmine, vanilla
- Anti-microbial properties: tea tree, eucalyptus, cinnamon, peppermint
- Digestion: peppermint, lemon
- To share your passion for essential oils or fashion with others. Love talking about fashion and/or essential oils? Essential oil jewelry makes for a great way to talk about these subjects as the jewelry is a great conversation starter!
Where to Buy Your Essential Oil Jewelry
Where you buy your essential oil jewelry depends on what type you’re looking for because there are so many varieties! At Laura Janelle, we have the following offerings:
- Essential oil pyramid necklace and bracelets > each piece features a dainty pyramid focal lava bead; perfect for adding your favorite essential oil. The necklace is made from a chain, while the bracelets are made with genuine gemstone beads. Find them here.
- Essential oil coin necklaces, bracelets, and earrings > available in gold, rose gold, or silver plating, these sophisticated pieces feature mandala coin accents, a sophisticated metal shine, and round lava beads. Find them here.
- Bohemian necklaces, chokers, and bracelets > that feature icons such as a dragonfly, ohm, tree of life, heart, sun, lotus, and more! Find them here.
- Wholesale essential oil jewelry > many of the options are available in wholesale programs for reduced pricing and on displays for easy-in store purchases. Make sure to create a wholesale account first. Then click the links above or the wholesale options won’t show up! Create an account here.